Concerned Citizen is a forum for the citizens of Hamilton to gain information and express their views on the policies, activities and governance of the Hamilton City Council.
The forum is not aligned to any national political party and will be guided by these following concerns and principles:
1. The Hamilton City Council has for many years overreached in its activities. This has seen the Council active in areas way beyond its core activities, beyond its competence and, in many cases, detrimental to the interests of the citizens of Hamilton.
2. This Council overreach has caused Council debt to explode to unprecedented levels and has caused the rates demanded by Council to consistently increase much more than inflation.
3. The rapidly increasing rates and debt burden have grown to such a level that they now constitute a genuine threat to the Council’s, and many ratepayers’, solvency.
4. Hamilton City Council, through its various plans, including the District Plan, and system of levies, has impeded development within the city. Concerned Citizen urges a full review of these plans and levies in order to reduce red tape, compliance costs and levies. This will provide greater freedom for the citizens of Hamilton to develop their own homes, businesses and places of enjoyment.
5. Hamilton City Council’s overreaching has caused it to neglect its core functions: roading, storm water, drinking water, waste water, refuse, civil emergency, parks & reserves, etc. Council must refocus on these core functions and away from non-core activity which has wasted millions of ratepayers’ money.
6. The Hamilton City Council must apply strong governance over its CEO and Executive. Council is elected to represent the citizens of Hamilton. As such Council must set policy then ensure that policy is competently implemented by the Executive. Council’s role is not to protect the Executive from enquiry from citizens.
7. Concerned Citizen is totally opposed to racism and believes that all citizens should be treated equally irrespective of race.